42 things to add to a gratitude list
Cicero, the 1st Century Roman orator once said: “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.”
The U.S. Holiday of Thanksgiving took place last week, but hopefully we’re not expressing thanks just one day of the year. Daily gratitude is a key to happiness, health, success and balanced living.
So I get to write about it again.
Sometimes people get dejected, or have suffered great loss and find it difficult to find anything to be thankful for.
One of the best spiritual practices I know is to list at least 5 things you are grateful for every night before you go to bed and every morning when you wake up. That can help lift our spirits no matter what is going on.
So my goal today is to help you out by listing things we can express gratitude for – things that we may just take for granted. Things it may not occur to us to be grateful for.
- A roof over our heads
- Hat, mittens, scarf, boots and heavy coat in cold weather
- Lightweight cotton in warm weather
- Smart phones [yes, I know they’re computers, but they’re really in a class by themselves]
- Washing machines and dryers for clothes
- Fruits and vegetables [especially organic]
- Windows so we can see the sky, trees, birds and more
- Playing cards
- Emergency Aid organizations
- Wind that blows away our troubles
- Indoor plumbing
- Hot running water
- Holiday lights that brighten our spirits
That’s just the tip of the iceberg. What haven’t I listed? Please add to this list in the comments section.
“If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.” Meister Eckhart
Molly Larkin is the co-author of the international best-seller “The Wind Is My Mother; The Life and Teachings of a Native American Shaman” and other books on health. She is passionate about helping people live life to their fullest potential through her classes, healing practice and blog at www.MollyLarkin.com